carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Doing Harm

Doing Harm - Kelly Parsons This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press and Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

I am giving this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. This book took quite plot twist and turns which kept the pages flying. While some readers may find some of the medical scenes a bit too realistic, I loved what those details brought to the story. This book was written by a doctor and the surgery scenes definitely were authentic.

Dr. Steven Mitchell is the married father of 2 girls. He is a senior resident at University Hospital and loves the surgical aspects of his job. He and his wife Sally both hope that he will be able to continue working at University after he completes his residency. Steve works with Luis at the hospital and the pair will also be working with a medical student, GiGi, for a period of time. Early in the book, Steve has a remarkably bad day in the hospital that ends with one patient dead and another clinging to life. As the death is being reviewed, Steve realizes that he may not be completely responsible for the death. Steve tries to stay one step ahead of the culprit while holding on to the things he holds dear in his life and protecting the hospital's patients.

Steve is not always the most likeable character. He starts off in the book with a bit of a cocky attitude which moves into full blown jerk mode at a point. As he finds himself in the middle of a deadly game, he became more relate able. He realizes that he has made mistakes, admits those mistakes,
and does his best to move forward.

I would recommend this book to anyone who like a fast paced thriller. There are some graphic medical scenes that could bother some readers and intrigue others. I find myself in the second group. I look forward to reading future works from this debut author.