carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Wicked We Have Done

The Wicked We Have Done - Sarah Harian This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Group and Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

4 Stars

What an exciting book! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I went into the book seeing lots of comparisons to The Hunger Games. I loved The Hunger Games but was worried that any book drawing so many comparisons would be too similar. I have found that many times the books that I like the best are completely different from anything else that I have read so I was a bit hesitant regarding the comparisons. I hoped to see the excitement of that book in a unique way. I think that this book was able to deliver.

Evalyn is on her way to the Compass Room as the book begins. The Compass Room is a new part of the justice system that analyzes a person's thoughts while in the room. Each person will either make it out and be released or will be terminated within the game. Evalyn enters the Compass Room with quite a few other young adults and teens. They must face multiple obstacles as time goes on as the number of participants continues to drop. The characters of Evalyn, Chase, Tanner, Valerie, and Jace really stood out in this book. I found myself rooting for this unlikely group of heroes.

We learn about the events that brought Evalyn to the Compass Room through flashbacks spread throughout the book. Each flashback added a piece of the puzzle regarding her crime and made me empathize with her more and more. As the book progressed, I found that many of the prisoners within the Compass Room were there because of their reaction to horrible events. This book shows the main characters working together to make the best of a bad situation.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes an exciting read. One point that I feel that I should mention is that this book does contain sex. With all the comparisons being made between this book and The Hunger Games, I feel it is important to remind everyone that the audience for this book is a little different. I think my daughter would love to read this book but she is probably a bit young right now. I am sure that parents out there will make the decision regarding this book that is right for their family. I plan to continue with this series and look for other works by this author.