carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Unbreakable

Unbreakable - Kami Garcia This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Little, Brown Books for Young Readers via Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

4 Stars

Wow! This book was so much better than I expected it to be. I am not really sure quite what I expected but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The book opened with a bang and the action just never stopped. This was a quick, easy read that ended up being loads of fun.

Kennedy is an average 17 year old girl. She finds herself chasing her cat, Elvis, after he escaped from the house. Her cat leads her into a nearby cemetery where she see a girl. She quickly realizes that this girl may be a ghost. She pushes the thought aside and continues on with her normal life. Unfortunately, her life changes dramatically and she must deal with her new reality.

She finds herself joining a group, the Legion, which consists of Lukas, Jared, Priest, and Alana. Each member of the Legion is new to their position being appointed after a family member died. Each of the preceding members died on the same night as Kennedy's mother. Kennedy's mother has never mentioned anything about the Legion and she lacks the training that the other members have had years to acquire. The group works together to solve a puzzle battling ghosts along the way. Kennedy quickly proves to be an asset to the group despite her lack of training.

This book was not any kind of great literature, but it was fun. For the most part I liked the characters, although I must admit I wanted to smack Kennedy every once in a while. There was a small bit of romance which I really wish had just been left out. Nobody needs another teen love triangle, especially one involving hot twins.

The pacing of the book was wonderful with lots of action. The writing flowed throughout the book. I found that I was completely engaged in this book while reading. I actually read the book completely within a single day and I did not spend the entire day reading.

I would recommend this book to others. This is a young adult novel and I would feel completely comfortable with my 14 reading this story. This is the first book by Kami Garcia that I have had a chance to read. I do plan to continue with this series and to read other works by this author.