carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Worth the Risk

Worth the Risk - Claudia Connor This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

I like to lose myself in a romance novel every once in a while. I have read so many romance novels in my life that while I enjoy most of them very few surprise me anymore. This book surprised me. I had hoped for a nice entertaining story but what I got was a book that I couldn't put down. The characters have both been through hell and back but somehow learn to navigate their lives together. This is the second book in the McKinley Brothers series but it can easily be read as a stand alone novel. I actually have not read the first book in this series (yet - I plan to soon) and I didn't feel lost for a minute.

This book really grabbed me at the beginning. Hannah is at the grocery story during a horrible day and starts crying when Stephen notices her. He asks her out in the parking lot of the grocery store. I loved this. This is a reasonable way for two people to meet each other. There was not talk of falling instantly in love in the produce section. He was attracted to her so he asked her on a date. I wish more books included believable meetings.

Hannah has had a very tough life and is fiercely protected by her 4 older brothers who actually raised her. As she decides to take a chance and date Stephen, they don't make things easy for her and try to stop her from seeing him and actually go along on one of the dates. Stephen's life has also been pretty tough and he fights his own demons. While Hannah has dealt with her fear by living a solitary life, Stephen has lived the life of a playboy avoiding family and anything that makes him feel.

This couple really worked for me. The chemistry was outstanding and I really could feel their emotions coming off the page. I actually believe that these two people could make each other stronger. The supporting characters were equally wonderful. I really liked Stephen and Hannah's families.

My only real complaint would be the major conflict between Stephen and Hannah towards the end of the book that could have been resolved if they had just talked to each other. They talked to each other every other time they had an issue and I don't understand why they wouldn't this time. It really is a very minor complaint and I love how everything ends up being resolved.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good contemporary romance. This is the first book by Claudia Connor that I have had a chance to read and I cannot wait to read more in the very near future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept via Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.