carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Garrett

Garrett - Sawyer Bennett 2/17/15: Now Available!

2/11/15: Stop by my blog to enter 2 different giveaways to promote this book. They are giving away a $25 gift card AND a Garrett Samuelson hockey jersey! I want that jersey!! http://carolesrandomlife.blogspot.com/2015/02/blog-tour-garrett-by-sawyer-bennett.html

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

Wow! This turned out to be an incredible book. I am not always a big fan of alternating voices in a book but it really seemed to work in this story. It was really nice to spend a little time in both Olivia and Garrett's head. I must admit that I fell completely head over heels in love with Garrett in this book - He was simply amazing!

I am not a huge hockey fan. Don't get me wrong...I like hockey but I just don't spend a lot of time following it or watching it. This book opened with a scene that was so stereotypical of every professional athlete....and I loved it. I was ready to hate Garrett and his playboy ways but I found that I hadn't really met the real Garrett. Nobody seemed to meet the real Garrett until Olivia came into his life.

I liked Olivia. She is a fighter and was willing to take what Garrett offered but she really didn't think it would go anywhere. She treated Garrett just like she would have treated anyone else which is exactly what he needed. I really liked Garrett and Olivia as a couple. The chemistry between them was intense and there were more than a few steamy scenes. I don't think that this book fell into the insta-love trap exactly. It really starts out at insta-lust which is totally believeable in my opinion. It turns into more as they spend time together.

The supporting characters were great. Olivia's mom was amazing. Stevie was equally amazing and his support of Olivia during her illness was heartwarming. The hockey fans that threw themselves at Garrett every chance they had added an interesting element to the story. I really expected this book to be a light romance but it deal with some major issues. I didn't expect to be hit with life and death issues but it made for such a unique story. Everything that Olivia and Garrett go through in this story works to bring them closer.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of contemporary romance that don't mind a story that deals with illness. I actually started reading this book while I was sitting in a chemotherapy lab with my mother and I don't know that I would have wanted to read this story a year ago just because of the illness at the center of the story. This book is the second in the series but I read it as a stand alone without any trouble. This is the first book by Sawyer Bennett that I have had a chance to read but I plan to go back and read the first book in the series very soon.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Publishing Group-Loveswept via Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.