carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Martian

The Martian - Andy Weir This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This is another one of those books that are really kind of hard for me to review. I expected to be blown away by this book. Everything about this book sounded absolutely perfect. A man stranded on Mars....it just doesn't get more exciting than that. I wasn't blown away. I liked the story well enough but I have to admit that sometimes the science got a little too much for me. I ended up enjoyed some parts of the book much more than others but I do think that this book will be a great framework for a very good movie.

Basically, anyone who has seen a movie preview or read the synopsis for this book has a basic understanding of the story line. Mark Watney is part of a group of astronauts doing some work on Mars. When things go horribly wrong, Mark is left alone on the planet and must figure out how to survive long enough to possibly be rescued.

I liked a lot of the book quite a bit. Some things just became a bit much for me. I loved Mark's sense of humor....to a point. At times, it was just a bit much. I appreciate being able to laugh during times of adversity but I don't think that anyone could have remained in such good spirits being isolated and alone as Mark was during most of the book. I didn't dislike Mark but I didn't fall in love with him either. I am thinking that movie Mark will be a little harder to resist because.....well, Matt Damon.

I found the science in the story to be very interesting....until it wasn't anymore. Enough is enough and there were times in the story that it was just too much. I like science. I felt like the science took over the plot of the book at times. If Mark had someone to discuss the science with it probably would have fit into the plot better possibly as conversation. Some of the science in the book really felt like information dumping to me and I found myself setting the book aside to do other things.

I liked most of the scenes that took place on Earth and on the spacecraft. I really thought that the parts of the book where characters were able to interact with each other worked well. I actually liked the parts that Mark was able to communicate. A story of one man's thoughts about science on Mars can get a bit dull. I also think that there were a lot of very exciting sections in the book that really kept me glued to the book. The parts that I liked....I really liked.

I would recommend this book to others. I think most readers will really enjoy this story and I know that a lot of people are looking forward to the movie. I still can't believe that I jumped on the bandwagon with the timing of reading this book. I must admit that I can't wait to see the movie with my husband. This is the first book by Andy Weir that I have read and I look forward to other works by this author.

Initial Thoughts
I liked it...but I didn't love it like I thought I would. Some parts made me laugh, others parts made me nervous, and some parts got bogged down with science that was way over my head. I do think that the movie will be fantastic.

Before Reading
Sooo....I feel like I am jumping on the bandwagon reading this book right now. My husband wants to see the movie when it comes out and you know that I HAVE to read the book first. I am just going to pretend that I don't have a large pile of ARCs needing to be read right now.