carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Summer at the Shore

Summer at the Shore - V.K. Sykes This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

3 Stars

I liked this book. I really enjoyed the first book in this series and couldn't wait to spend a little more time in Seashell Bay. I thought it was great to see so many of the characters from the first book making appearances in this installment but I do think that this book could be read just fine as a stand alone novel.

Morgan is trying her best to save the Bed & Breakfast that her family has owned for years and take care of her sister. She has left her life as a teacher on the mainland to try and make everything work. She needs to solve these problems quickly because the building is in disrepair and the business is losing money. When she sees Ryan on the ferry, she decides that he may be able help and makes him an offer.

Ryan is at a crossroads in his career and wants to spend some time on the island with friends and family. When he realizes that Morgan needs help, he accepts her offer of room and board in exchange for doing some repairs on the building. He quickly becomes a huge asset to the business.

I do have to say that I thought this book was missing some of the magic that I felt in the first installment. I liked Morgan and Ryan as a couple but they seemed to be missing some of the heat that I had hoped to see. There was no real obstacles keeping them apart besides themselves. It seemed like it took forever for the pair to act on anything. Don't get me wrong, the characters are great and I really liked Ryan a lot. I just had hoped to see a little more passion and romance. The island itself seemed a little too tame in this installment and I kind of missed the fireworks from the town in this book.

The story really picked up for me when Ryan saves the day at the Bed & Breakfast. He really makes a great hero and I thought that Morgan proved to be very strong. They were a nice couple in the end. The story takes a few predictable turns that end up in a feel good ending.

I would recommend this book to romance fans. This is the second book by the writing pair of V.K. Sykes that I have had a chance to read. I can't wait to see more for Seashell Bay.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Forever (Grand Central Publishing) via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.