carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat?

Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat? - Lisa Scottoline, Francesca Serritella This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I am absolutely amazed by how closely I can relate to these authors. This collection of humorous essays made me chuckle often and tear up occasionally. I have read quite a few of Lisa Scottoline's books and have even stood in line to have her sign my book exactly twice. Both of these authors have a phenomenal sense of humor.

If you are looking for a book with a plot, this isn't that kind of book. This a collection of very short stories that share a few observations and give you just a peek into their world. This is the perfect book to read just a bit at a time. Each story takes just a few minutes and can put a smile on your face almost instantly. I actually think that this would be the perfect book to load on a smart phone and read anytime you find yourself waiting somewhere.

I could relate to both author's writing almost equally. I have been out of the dating scene for a while and although I may sometimes think fondly of that time, this book reminded me that it really wasn't all that much fun. When they talked about Mother Mary's hospice care, I couldn't help but tear up but not because the story was told in a depressing manner. They both talked about that time in such an honest and realistic manner that it brought back a lot of memories and I like to remember so that's a good thing.

Most of the book is a light and fun. I would bet that most women will find something to relate to in this book because they hit on a wide range of subjects. This book talks about friends, diets, movies, dogs, cats, Bradley Cooper, boyfriends, fitbits, subways, ponies, and a whole list of other topics. There were even a few pictures that helped bring the story to life. I love pictures. There were sections of the book that I read aloud to my husband - not because he cares about what I am reading but I just loved what was being said so much that I felt like I had to share it with someone and he was available.

I would highly recommend this book to others. I have read a lot of Lisa Scottoline's work but only one other humorous novel which I also enjoyed. I plan to work my way through the rest of these books soon and hope that there are a lot more to come in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.