carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Calamity

Calamity - Brandon Sanderson This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This has been an amazing trilogy. This is a set of books that I am certain I will read again at some point which is pretty high praise from me. I always try to write spoiler free reviews but this review may have some spoilers for the earlier books in the series because I simply don't know how to avoid that. Honestly, if you haven't read the prior books in this series you will want to stop read my review at this point and start reading [b:Steelheart|17182126|Steelheart (Reckoners, #1)|Brandon Sanderson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1357576738s/17182126.jpg|21366540] instead because it is really that good. This was my least favorite book in the trilogy but it was still an incredibly solid ending to the story.

At the start of this book, things aren't looking to great for David and the rest of the Reckoners. The events that ended the previous book have left them at a bit of a disadvantage. Prof is gone as is Tia which leaves David in charge of the group. David is trying and he has a plan that he hopes can save Prof and change everything. The need a few gadgets and during the groups quest to get their hands on a few they meet Knighthawk who ends up being a wonderful addition to the group.

The group that I have grown to know and love are all featured in this book. David and Megan's romance was adorable. David's use of metaphors is still something to behold and Megan has learned a lot about controlling her power. Abraham may have been my favorite in this book. He has always been a bit mysterious but I felt like we really got to know him a little bit in this book. Cody didn't have the same charm for me in this book that he had in the first book in the series. His stories that were fun at the beginning of the series have started to grow a bit stale for me at this point. Mizzy added humor at the right moments in the book but I actually think that Knighthawk's sense of humor was the most enjoyable.

This book has a lot of action and the setting was very interesting. I am still trying to envision a city made of salt in constant change. It sounds odd but it actually worked for me. There was a lot of planning and coming up with ideas in this book for the Reckoners. There was action but most of it seemed to be crammed into the last part of the book. I would have liked to see a little more action spread out in the story. The story took a few twists that I predicted and a few that I didn't. All in all, I found it to be a nice ending to the series but not quite as good as I had hoped it would be.

I would highly recommend this series to anyone looking for something a little different. If the idea of a world where individuals with powers are not the heroes but the villains sounds even remotely interesting, I would suggest that you give [b:Steelheart|17182126|Steelheart (Reckoners, #1)|Brandon Sanderson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1357576738s/17182126.jpg|21366540] a try. I have enjoyed everything that I have read by Brandon Sanderson up to this point but I still have some catching up to do. I plan to read a lot more Sanderson in the future.

Initial Thoughts
I enjoyed this one. I thought that this was a nice ending to the trilogy. I am feeling pretty satisfied by how everything actually ended. I loved David, Megan, Mizzy, Abraham, and Cody just as much in this book as in the previous installments. The city of salt was incredibly interesting. Highly entertaining!

Before reading
How awesome is it that I woke up to this ebook checked out to me and ready to read from my local library?!?! I love my library!!!