carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Dark Matter: A Novel

Dark Matter: A Novel - Blake Crouch This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I loved this book. I picked this one up when I was really hoping to pull myself out of a reading slump...and it worked. You would think that I could easily write a nice gushy review of the wonderful story but I am finding it really hard to write a review because I am determined not to spoil this story for anyone else.

I think that I thought that there would be some elements of horror in the story. I was wrong. This is really a science fiction story. I don't read a lot of science fiction but I really enjoyed this one. It made me think about things. There is really a whole world of possibilities presented in this story and while I realize that it is a work of fiction, it was really fun to imagine all of the scenerios.

This story follows Jason. Jason is really a pretty normal guy. He is married with a teenage son. He is a professor at the local college and is really pretty happy with his life. I thought that Jason was a really solid character. He was pretty easy to get behind and I found myself really caring about him. I was cheering for him until the very end of the story and wanted to see him succeed.

I loved the writing. This book was pretty fast paced and I found it really hard to put down. I read the whole book from cover to cover in less than 24 hours because I couldn't get it out of my head. I needed to read just one more chapter...and we all know how that goes. The book flowed largely due to the wonderful storytelling. The unbelievable became believable and the lines between fiction and fact blurred.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of science fiction. I think anyone looking for something a little different may enjoy this one as well. I have read a couple of books that Blake Crouch co-authored and I enjoyed those but I do think that I prefer his solo efforts a bit more. I definitely plan to read more from this author very soon.

I received a copy of this book from Crown Publishing via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
I think that this book may have successfully pulled me out of my reading slump. Finally.

This was so different than I had expected it to be and I loved every minute of it. I really had a hard time putting it down and read the book in less than 24 hours. Awesome storytelling that took so many unexpected twists.