carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Moon Called

Moon Called   - Lorelei King, Patricia Briggs This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I love it when I can read a book for a second time and enjoy even more than the first time. There are a few book worlds that I hate to leave and Mercy's world is one of them. When I finished reading [b:Fire Touched|25776210|Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9)|Patricia Briggs|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1441912000s/25776210.jpg|30158053] recently, I wanted more Mercy so I decided it was time to listen to some of the audiobooks from this series that have been sitting in my audible account for a couple of years. I was surprised by how much more I liked it this time around.

This is the first book in the Mercy Thompson series and it does a really good job of introducing a large number of the key players in the series. This book is one of the really great first books in an urban fiction series. All of the world building works nicely into the plot. The book opens with a lot of excitement and you just kind of learn how things work as the plot moves forward.

I loved going back to spend time with an earlier Mercy. She is such a wonderful character. She is extremely brave in this story despite being fully aware of her limitations. She is smart and able to make good decisions under pressure. She really shows a protective side in this story with both Mac and Jesse which I really liked. It was really fun spending time with Adam, Samuel, Bran, Zee, Stephen, Jesse, Warren, and the rest of gang in this book.

The mystery in this book was solid. When a young werewolf ends up in Mercy's garage, she quickly learns that some strange things are happening. Adam is quickly pulled into the mystery and is actually quite vulnerable during much of this book. Mercy and the werewolves must find out what is going on and what their motives are in order to keep everyone safe. I really liked seeing how many things from later in the series were foreshadowed in this book. There were so many things that I didn't pick up on during my first reading.

It took me a few minutes to adjust to the narration of this audiobook. Don't get me wrong, I thought the narration was great in the end but Mercy is a character that I have been reading about for years so I had a preconceived notion about what her voice should sound like. The narrator didn't match the voice in my head at the beginning of the story but by the end her voice was Mercy's. I think that the narrator did a fabulous job with all of the different character voices. I really enjoyed how much emotion came across in her reading of the story. I definitely plan to listen to more audiobooks featuring Lorelei King's narration.

I would highly recommend this book and series to fans of urban fiction. The Mercy Thompson series along with the Alpha & Omega series which is set in the same world are among my favorites. This is a series that is best read in order so this book is a great starting point. I am looking forward to re-reading the second book in the series very soon.

Initial Thoughts
I absolutely loved this book! Even better the second time around.