carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Summer That Melted Everything

The Summer That Melted Everything - Tiffany McDaniel This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I really enjoyed this one. I seem to always be on the hunt for something original and different when it comes to my reading and this one really hit the mark. I love a dark story and this one did not disappoint. Not only was the story dark, it really dealt with a lot of different things in an impressive manner. I thought that the writing was beautiful and really added to the tale.

The book is mostly set in the summer of 1984 in the little town of Breathed, Ohio. There are a few flashes into Fielding's future where we learn how deeply the events of that summer impacted his life. At the start of the book, Fielding meets a little black boy wearing a dirty pair of overalls. This boy says that he is the devil and came due to the invitation set forth by Fielding's father but asked to be called Sal. Sal quickly becomes another member of the eclectic Bliss family.

The town of Breathed isn't nearly as welcoming to Sal. Since he is the devil, he is blamed for lots of things that go wrong. Despite the feelings against Sal, he seems to be one of the most level headed characters in the story. The advice he shares with Fielding and the rest of his new family shows a wisdom that is truly remarkable. Sal, Fielding, and the rest of the Bliss family were really colorful and interesting characters that all added a lot to the story.

The writing was spectacular. Seriously. I am amazed that this was the author's debut novel. The way this story was put together really shows remarkable skill. The words flowed in such a way that it was really a treat to read this book. I almost felt like I was there with the Bliss family since the descriptions in the book were so vivid. I thought the pacing was very well done with a lot of difficult topics being covered.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for something dark and different. The writing and the story are equally strong in this wonderful little story. I rarely accept review requests from authors but I am so glad that I decided to take a chance on this book. I will definitely be reading more from this author in the future and can't wait to see what else Tiffany McDaniel will come up with next.

I received a copy of this book from Tiffany McDaniel and St. Martin's Press via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
This was good. Completely different than what I usually pick up...in a good way.