carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Last Victim (Dr. Charlotte Stone #1)

The Last Victim (Dr. Charlotte Stone #1) - Karen Robards What a frustrating book! The writing was good but it just did not work at all for me. This book is like a mash-up - yes, I watch Glee from time to time. When the Glee cast performs a mash up by mixing up two separate songs, the result is really good and quite pleasant. This book was not so good. It read like 2 different books. I almost wonder if the author had the outlines for two separate books and then dropped them and the outline were shuffled together. I liked the mystery sections of the book the best until a page from the ghost book would pop up. I don't understand why these 2 stories had to be mixed up....why??? If the ghost portions had been left out of the book, I could easily see the start to a 4-5 star book. If a second book had been written about the ghost, I would be willing to give it a try but together it was a trainwreck. By the end of the book, the two stories fit together better but it still seemed forced. I would probably give this book 1 1/2 stars if half stars were allowed. I did get through it and the writing was good but I really wish an editor would have used a red pen to mark out all of the ghost sections of the book and asked the author to elaborate on the mystery....that would have been much better. I like Karen Robards and will definitely read her work again but I may pass on the follow up books in this new series....or I may give them a try...who knows!