carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Broken World by Kate L. Mary

Broken World: Broken World, Book 1 - Kate L. Mary, Hillary Huber

This review can also be found at Carole's Randon Life in Books.

Well, this was fantastic! I am finding that I like post-apocalyptic stories more and more these days. I have come across a few recommendations for this series and put it on my wishlist but never got around to it until now. This was such an entertaining listen. Once I got started with this book, I didn't want to stop. I am so glad that I finally gave this one a try.

Vivian is making her way to California. The world is in shambles due to a recent virus outbreak that threatening the lives of everyone across the country. She is on a quest to check on the daughter she gave up for adoption. When her car breaks down, she is helped out by a somewhat suspicious pair of brothers. And this is only the start of her journey.

One of the things that I loved about this book was the characters. I really felt like I got to know Vivian and the rest of her group over the course of this story and more importantly, I grew to care about them. There were a few characters that my opinion of completely changed during the course of the story. I liked that we saw these characters evolve and learn to trust each other. The characters all felt so real to me and I almost felt like I was on this journey with them.

I thought that this story was really exciting. I like it when a book shows how an outbreak starts. It is so much fun getting a chance to be with the characters while they figure out what is really happening. There are some pretty intense moments in this book and some other more heartbreaking moments. I think that the author did a great job of keeping things interesting and setting a nice pace for the story.

Hillary Huber did a great job with the narration. There is a pretty diverse cast of characters in this book and she did a fantastic job of making them each sound distinctive. She was able to bring a lot of emotion into the story and brought the excitement level up a notch. She had a very nice voice that was easy to listen to for hours at a time.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of post-apocalyptic stories. I thought that this book really gave the series a great start with its wonderful characters and exciting story. I can't wait to get started on the next book!

I received a review copy of this audiobook from the author.

Initial Thoughts
This was awesome! This book was probably 4.5 stars but I am rounding up for now. I loved the fact that the story started as all of the problems started. I thought it was fun to figure out what was really going on along with the characters. The characters were very well done and a few of them surprised me before the end of the book. The narration was really well done.