carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Master of Dreams by Mike Resnick

The Master of Dreams - Mike Resnick

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was an odd little book. I decided to give this one a try largely because of the cover and the fact that it is the start of a new series. I don't think that I even read the book's summary before diving in since I like to go into most books that I read as possible. Having never read anything by this author before, I didn't have a lot of expectations. This was a quick read for me but one that left me scratching my head at times.

This was a pretty weird story. I like weird so that wasn't a bad thing but it did leave me wondering what was going on more than a few times. Now that I have finished the book, I am still a little confused about the point of some of the stranger elements of the story. Even when the book is at its oddest, I found it to be very readable and was quite curious to see how things would end up.

This book was really imaginative. If you like retellings, this book drops into several very well known stories. These stories aren't quite the way most readers remember though. There's a stop at a bar in Casablanca, a trip to Oz, and some time in Camelot. I was more familiar with some of these than others but had some fun with each one.

The book did start out feeling pretty normal in Manhattan, with Eddie out shopping with his girlfriend, Lisa. I really wish that we had a bit more time with Eddie before he is sent off to different worlds. I liked his character and his sense of humor but I found myself really wanting to get back to the original story.

I am not sure if I will be continuing with this series or not. I am glad that I read this book but I don't know that I am all that eager to jump around through various world with Eddie again. Although I might if I am in the mood for some well-written weirdness.

I received a review copy of this book from Berkley Publishing Group.

Initial Thoughts
I am going to need some time to process this one. This was an odd little book. Really odd but very readable. Definitely unexpected with a fair amount of humor. I am going to wait a couple of days before I assign a rating.