carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Blood Rites by Jim Butcher

Blood Rites  - James Marsters, Jim Butcher

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I think that I might have enjoyed this book even more than I did the first time I read it. It has been several years since I worked my way through the Harry Dresden series the first time and I have been slowing re-reading the series on audio. I am somewhat surprised that I remembered as much of this story as I did but I think that this is really a pivotal book in the series and it stood out in memory for that reason. I really had a blast with the story and am glad that I made the decision to pick it up when I did.

Once again, Harry has his hands full. The book starts out with Harry delivering some temple dogs to a monk which sounds like it should be a lot easier than it actually is. One of the dogs stows away in Harry's car and I really enjoyed having the pup along for much of the story. Harry is a good guy and always seems to do what is right even when it costs him. This book takes Harry on quite the ride and spends some time on the set of an adult film where things don't really go as planned.

This felt like a pivotal book in the series because there are some pretty big revelations that are made. You get some insight into several characters which will have an impact for the rest of the series. I also liked the fact that we see others make some sacrifices for Harry. Harry always seems to give but it is nice to see that he does have some true friends that are there for him and can be trusted.

James Marsters does a phenomenal job with this series. I am really quite in awe of his ability to bring Harry and the story to life. If I were to read one of these books, the voice that I would hear in my head for Harry would be James's voice. He is able to add excitement to the story when needed and seems to have perfectly captured Harry's sense of humor. He handles all of the voices very well and is easy to listen to for hours at a time.

I would highly recommend this series to others. It is a series that needs to be read in order since each book builds on the previous installments. I had a great time with this wonderful story and can't wait to continue my re-read of the series.

Initial Thoughts
I actually remember a whole lot of this book from the first time I read it which is kind of amazing since my memory sucks these days. This book does not suck though. It was great. There are a lot of important things revealed in this book which is probably one reason it stayed in my mind. Plus there is a puppy in this book...how can you do anything but love a puppy?! Lot of excitement and fantastic narration.

Book source: Audible purchase