carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Fated by Benedict Jacka

Fated - Benedict Jacka, Gildart Jackson

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was a great start to the series! I am always on the lookout for new urban fantasy series to try so when a group of friends decided to read this series, I was eager to join in. It turns out that it was my kind of book and I think that my decision to listen to the audio version increased my enjoyment quite a bit. I am glad that I decided to give this book a try.

I thought that the world-building in this book was very well done. I like the idea of a secret world that is hidden in plain sight. I thought that Alex's abilities were very interesting and very useful. Alex is a diviner which means that he can see all the possibilities of the future. Alex is a bit of a loner since he does not interact with other mages but he does have a few people that he trusts like Luna and Starbreeze.

I thought that the story was pretty exciting. It definitely kept me guessing to the end and I was eager to see how things would work out. There is some action and excitement in the story but also a lot of outsmarting the other party. I did like how everything came together and was pretty satisfied with the ending.

I believe that this was my first experience with Gildart Jackson's narration and I was quite impressed. I think that his accent worked very well with the story. I think that he was able to bring Alex to life and also did a great job with all of the other characters in the story. He has a very pleasant voice that was easy to listen to for long periods of time.

I do recommend this series to others. I thought that this was a very well done introduction to an interesting cast of characters and I look forward to reading more of the series very soon.

Initial Thoughts
This was good. I really liked the world that this book was set in and I thought Alex was a great character. There was plenty of excitement and events that kept me guessing in this book. The narrator did a fantastic job with this story. I can't wait to start reading the next book in the series.

Book source: Audible Purchase