carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Good Ones by Jenn McKinlay

The Good Ones - Jenn McKinlay

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had a wonderful time with this book! Having read several of Jenn McKinlay's contemporary romances, I was eager to give this book a try. I was not disappointed. This was one of those books that I didn't want to stop reading once I got started. Too bad life got in the way. I did enjoy every moment that I spent with this charming story.

Maisy has inherited her aunt's old Victorian home which happens to be full of romance novels. She has just left her position at the local college and has this crazy idea of opening a romance bookstore. Ryder is a single dad who works as an architect. His task is to help Maisy bring the old house back to its former glory...and add a turret.

I loved the characters in this book. Maisy and Ryder were both wonderful people and I thought that they were fantastic as a couple. They had a lot of chemistry and it was fun to see them interact with each other. There were some other key players in this story that I thought were equally well done. Ryder's teen daughter, Perry, was a great kid and I loved how caring she was. Savannah, or Savy, was quite the firecracker and I really liked the fact that she was there to put Maisy straight when needed. As a group, these characters work to save a tiny kitten which helped to show each character's softer side and added a nice dose of cute to the overall story. There were a few other characters introduced that I hope to see in future novels.

I would recommend this book to others. It was a charming romantic novel filled with a cast of wonderful characters. I loved all of the book references that were worked into the story and had a great time watching Maisy and Ryder build the bookstore and find their own happily ever after. I can't wait to read more of this delightful series.

I received an advanced reader edition of this book from Berkley Publishing Group via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
I really enjoyed this one. Maisy and Ryder were wonderful together and the secondary characters were a lot of fun. I want to go to Maisy's bookstore!