carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Red Velvet Revenge by Jenn McKinlay

Red Velvet Revenge - Jenn McKinlay
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had a great time listening to this cozy mystery! I have been slowly working my way through this series after picking up the first book in the series not quite a year ago. This is the fourth book in the Cupcake Bakery Mysteries and while it can be read as a stand alone readers of the series will appreciate checking in with the cast of characters. I found myself quickly caught up in this mystery and I may have developed a mild craving for cupcakes before reaching the end of the story.

This installment takes the cupcake crew to the rodeo. I have to tell you that this development worried me a bit since sometimes when a series hits the road it looses some of its charm. There was no need to worry since the key characters went on this trip together so I didn't find myself missing anyone. The Juniper Pass rodeo had its own quirky group of characters including the man who runs the operation, the unpleasant rodeo star, and the owners of the food truck serving Barbecue right next to the Fairy Tale Bakery's cupcake truck.

Of course, there were a few problems for the crew to work out. There was a shooting at the rodeo's parade injuring Slim, then the rodeo star is murdered, and to top things off someone has sabotaged the cupcake bakery's food truck. Nobody knows if these events are connected but Melanie and her friends are in the middle of it all especially since they were the ones to discover the bull rider's body. There are some developments between Tate and Angie that kept the story interesting on the romantic front.

Susan Boyce continues to do a fabulous job with this series. I love the voices that she uses for this quirky group of characters. She really does a great job in bringing the story to life and is able to add a lot of excitement to the reading. Ms. Boyce has a very pleasant reading voice and I had no problem listening to her narration for hours at a time. I look forward to listening to more of her work in the future.

I would recommend this series to others. This book is filled with great characters and a mystery that kept me guessing. I also love the fact that we get to see enough of the dessert making process to make the cupcake bakery seem real (and to make me crave a few desserts). I can't wait to start the next book in the series very soon!

Initial Thoughts
The group goes to the rodeo in this installment to sell some cupcakes. Of course, all kinds of things go wrong and they find themselves in the middle of a mystery before long. It was nice to spend some time with this group of characters again. The narration was excellent.

Book source: Library via Hoopla