carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

I Was a Teenage Weredeer by C.T Phipps and Michael Suttkus

I Was a Teenage Weredeer - Michael Suttkus, C. T. Phipps

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was entertaining. I am not going to lie - the thing that really caught my attention about this book was the title. Weredeer? Have I ever read a book about a weredeer? Of course not so you know I had to give this book a try just to find out more about this weredeer. It ended up being a really clever story with some great world-building. I am glad that I took a chance on this fun little story.

Jane Doe is a weredeer. I should probably mention that there are little bits of humor sprinkled all over this story as you may have guessed as soon as you saw Jane's name. Anyway, Jane's family owns a local diner where Jane works as a waitress alongside other members of her family. Since Michigan is one of only two states that are safe for shifters, the town of Bright Falls has a rather large shifter population. Jane's best friend is a werewolf and there are all kinds of colorful characters around town.

Jane learns that her best friend's sister has been killed and that her brother has been accused of the murder and decides to investigate. Weredeers often have special abilities and Jane is able to gather a lot of knowledge just by touching objects. Jane and her best friend hope that her special abilities will make finding out what really happened a simple task. Of course, things quickly get complicated and they find themselves uncovering a mystery that goes back quite a few years.

I liked Jane. I thought she was pretty brave to get involved with everything and she was never afraid of asking the hard questions. It was fun to watch her try to figure everything out. There were a lot of other characters in the book and I liked most of them. I did find it a bit difficult to keep everyone straight at times since there were so many characters that had a role. I did think it was odd that Jane's parents were almost always referred to as Judy and John instead of Mom and Dad.

I thought that Arielle DeLisle did a great job with this story. This was the first time that I have had the chance to listen to this narrator and I was impressed by her delivery. I thought that she was able to bring Jane to life and added a lot of emotion and excitement to the story. I wouldn't hesitate to listen to her work again in the future.

I would recommend this book to others. I had a lot of fun with it and found myself chuckling from time to time. There were a lot of pop culture references and puns worked into the story that kept everything rather light. I felt that the ending of this book was pretty satisfying but I may decide to pick up the second book at some point in the future.

I received a review copy of this audiobook from the author via Audiobook Boom.

Initial Thoughts
I found the book to be quite clever and enjoyed learning about the world that it was set in. I have to admit that the idea of a weredeer is what really made me want to pick up this book and Jane was even more interesting that I could have expected her to be. There were some parts of the book that had me chuckling and I thought the narrator did a fantastic job with the story so it was a good overall reading experience.