carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Dying Bites by D.D. Barant

Dying Bites (Bloodhound Files, #1) - D.D. Barant

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I liked this book but I didn't love it. I have had a copy of this book for years and finally decided to dust it off and give it a try. There were some things about the book that I really enjoyed and other things that made me question why things happened the way that they did. This was a pretty fast listen for me and I did enjoy the overall story.

I liked the overall premise of the story. Jace is an FBI profiler that is pulled into an alternate reality to help solve a crime. The alternate reality is filled with vampires, shifters, and other interesting beings with humans as a small minority. The paranormal beings in this reality are not prone to mental illness but there is a killer on the loose targeting the paranormal population that happens to be human so Jace has been enlisted to help.

The population of these realities are so different but I was amazed by how much everything looked like our world. Language was mostly the same. Cars developed in the same manner. There were some difference but I really would have thought that there would be a whole lot more since these really were different worlds. According to the story, the worlds became different when guns were invented in our world and not used in theirs. It just seemed strange to me.

I did think that the story was exciting. The murders were quite interesting and I was really interesting in learning who was responsible. There were several surprises along the way that I did not see coming. I liked the characters in the book well enough. Jace was tough and smart but I kept thinking that she adjusted to everything a whole lot faster than could be expected. I really liked Charlie, her golem assistant, and thought that many of the other secondary characters were equally well done.

One of the reasons that I decided to pick up this audiobook was Johanna Parker's narration. I am someone that listens to audiobooks at regular speed and don't like to speed things up. I immediately felt this book was going really fast so I check to see if I had changed a setting on my device since the narrator seemed to be talking really fast. I decreased the speed of the narration and was able to enjoy the story much more from that point forward. I did like the range of voices that she used in this book although I did have a bit of trouble keeping everyone straight for a time.

I would encourage anyone interested in the series to give it a try. I thought that it had a lot of unique points and found it to be rather entertaining. I am not sure if I will continue on with the series at this point but I am glad I gave this one a shot.

Initial Thoughts
I liked this book but I didn't love it. I listen to audiobooks at 1x speed and almost never make any changes. Shortly after starting this book, I had to check to see if I had changed the setting because the narrator was talking so fast. I ended up slowing things down a bit and it worked much better for me after that. I have listened to and enjoyed Johanna Parker quite a bit in the past so that was a bit of a surprise. I did have a bit of trouble keeping track of all of the characters in this book but eventually got things figured out. I thought it was strange that this alternate world that was different in some ways could be so similar in most others. There was quite a bit of excitement and I was really curious about how things would work out. It seemed to me that Jace took the way things ended way too easily which just seemed odd.

Book source: Audible purchase