carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Her Darkest Nightmare by Brenda Novak

Her Darkest Nightmare (Dr. Evelyn Talbot Novels) - Brenda Novak

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I thought that this was pretty good. It wasn't great but it was good. I have been excited about this book since I read the prequel novella Hanover House a couple of years ago. This is the first full length book in the Evelyn Talbot series but I do recommend reading the prequel novella first if at all possible since it really sets up the series well. I had a pretty good time with this book and was eager to learn how everything would work out in the end.

Evelyn Talbot has a lot of experience with psychopaths. As a teenager, her boyfriend killed her friends and almost killed her as well after torturing her for several days. As an adult, she has dedicated her life to learning more about psychopaths. She was the driving force behind opening Hanover House, a facility that houses and studies these individuals.

Sergeant Amarok is the local law enforcement. He is an Alaskan State Trooper and the only real authority in the town. He has to deal with dangerous weather condition and whatever other issues come up in the area. When it appears that a murder has occurred, he is the one tasked with figuring everything out.

This book had a lot of really great elements. It was an exciting story. There was more than a few scenes that really had me worried that things might go poorly for the characters. The mystery was rather complex and kept me guessing until the very end of the book. I liked the romance between Evelyn and Amarok. They really seemed perfect together and I loved how their personalities complimented each other.

There were a few things about the story that seemed a bit off. I did like the romance between Evelyn and Amarok but I didn't care for the way that it seemed to take over the rest of the story at times. The book spends a lot of time in Evelyn's head and she spent so much time thinking about Amarok. I kind of thought she should have been thinking about the murderer running around the town but that is just me. I also thought is was unrealistic that Amarok would have been left to deal with everything on his own. I would think that a murderer on the loose would have been enough to get a few reinforcements sent to his little town.

Therese Plummer did a great job with this book. I found the book to be a pretty quick listen that I really enjoyed. Overall, I think that the narrator did a nice job with the character voices although I did find a couple of the voices to be rather similar at first. I thought she did a great job with adding excitement to the book at just the right moments. I would definitely listen to this talented narrator again in the future.

I do recommend this book to others. This wasn't a perfect book but I had a lot of fun with it. I am really looking forward to finding out what else might threaten Evelyn and Hanover House very soon.

Initial Thoughts
This was good. Not great, but good. Right now I am giving it 3 stars but I may bump it to 4 after I give myself some time to think about it. The book focused on the romantic relationship of Evelyn just as much as the murders and corruption happening all around her. Some parts of the book were unbelievable although entertaining. I thought that the narrator did a good job with the story.

Book source: Audible purchase