carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Woman Who Couldn't Scream by Christina Dodd

The Woman Who Couldn't Scream: A Novel (The Virtue Falls Series) - Christina Dodd

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Book.

I liked this book but I didn't love it. It has been years since I have read anything by Christina Dodd but I have really enjoyed her writing in the past so I was excited to get the chance to read this book. This is the fourth book in the Virtue Falls series and I think that I might have gotten a bit more out of it if I had read the previous books before jumping into this one. I didn't have any kind of difficulty following the story but there were times that I just felt like I was missing something. I did like the book and was eager how things would work out.

This book really seemed to be telling more than one story. There is Merida, a mute woman, who has been recently widowed. The other main focus was on Kateri, the newly elected sheriff. Both of these woman had there own issues to deal and relationships to figure out. I honestly think that I might have like the book a bit more if the focus didn't shift back and forth as much as it did. There were quite a few times that I was pulled out of the story a bit as the point of view changed.

There is a whole lot going on in this book. So much. There is a convict on the loose, a string of murders occurring in Virtue Falls, a relative in town causing trouble, romantic issues, a long lost lover, a comatose friend, plus a frog god. It was probably too much in a lot of ways and started to seem unrealistic. I am okay with the frog god not being realistic but I would have liked for a little more believability for the rest of the story.

I really did like Kateri. She seemed to be able to handle just about anything but was willing to take advice from others. I liked Stag as well but he wasn't in the book as much as I would have liked but he seemed to really be what Kateri needed. I also really liked some of the members of the police force and the older bar owner. Merida and Benedict never felt completely real to me. I didn't dislike them but I wasn't sure if I should trust them either.

I think that my biggest issue with the book was that things just seemed too convenient at times. As the excitement of the book peaked, the characters would catch a break that was too good to be true. Problems were solved a little too easily and solutions showed up just when they were needed. I am glad that all of the loose ends were wrapped up but I would have it to feel a bit more real.

I do think that a lot of readers will enjoy this one. I enjoyed this book even though I had some issues with the story. I do hope to read more of Christina Dodd's work very soon.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martins Press via NetGalley.