carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Pen is Mightier by J.A. Cipriano

The Pen Is Mightier - J. A. Cipriano, Luke Daniels, Jason A. Cipriano

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

My thoughts are pretty mixed on this book. I decided to give it a try because the premise sounded really entertaining and I am a huge fan of the narrator. It was a pretty easy listen that seemed to move pretty quickly. It ended up being an okay book for me.

Roger starts off the book having a rather bad day. I actually liked down on his luck Roger that seemed to be doing his best just to get by on a daily basis. He is given the task to delivering a sandwich to the carnival and leaves with a magic pen. I love the idea of a magic pen. You can write something down and it (usually) comes true. Just think about what you could do with that. Need a couple of zeroes added to your paycheck? Or maybe just write your own winning lottery ticket? You get the idea how great this could be and watching Roger try to figure out what he could do with it was fun at first.

I started to have some issues with the story when the pen started causing women to fall all over themselves to be with Roger. I don't consider myself to be a prude and I don't mind sex in books. In fact, I usually like it when it is done well. The sex in this book caused me to do some major eye rolling. I didn't feel any chemistry between the characters and it didn't strengthen any relationships. It was more on the ridiculous side of things. There was also the little issue that none of the sex would have happened without the pen. I can't say that Roger controlled the women because he did not write that they would have sex with him but there was a real fine line.

Luke Daniels did an awesome job with this book. Honestly, I am not completely sure that I would have finished the book without his voice encouraging me to keep going. He handled a lot of different characters and some crazy scenes with ease and really kept the book fun.

I thought that the concept and exploring the limits of the pen were incredibly interesting and fun at times. I think that maybe I am not the right audience for this book. I think that this book may work a lot better for other readers so you may want to give it a try if it sounds interesting to you. I don't think that I will be continuing with the series myself.

I received a review copy of this audiobook from the author via Audiobook Boom.

Initial Thoughts
The narration was wonderful and the concept of the story was interesting. I did think that the magic pen always being the key to sex got old quickly. I don't mind sex in books. In fact, I like it but something about how it was used in this story felt off to me. I did spend a whole lot of time wondering what I would choices I would make with a magic pen. This was an okay listen but I don't think I will be continuing with the series.