carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Into the Black Nowhere by Meg Gardiner

Into the Black Nowhere: An UNSUB Novel - Meg Gardiner

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really enjoyed this book! I was a huge fan of the first book in this series, UNSUB, so I was really excited to read this one. I will admit that I didn't like this book quite as much as the first book in the series but it was a very strong book. I was hooked by this book from the very start and enjoyed it to the very end. This series has quickly made its way onto my must read list.

Caitlin is now working as an FBI profiler. She goes to Texas with a couple of other members of her team to look into a string of abductions. Women are disappearing and residents are starting to be frightened. There are no clues and nobody knows whether the women are dead or alive. Caitlin and the team start working on putting together a profile for the perpetrator.

Most of the book follow Caitlin as she works through the clues to get in the head of the perpetrator. We do get the chance to see things closer to the criminal from time to time as well which worked well in the story. I was a bit surprised by how early in the book the team narrows down the list of suspects and subsequently catches the individual responsible. I had a feeling that there were a few more surprises in store and was excited when things followed that path.

I liked the characters in this book. Caitlin is smart and has great instincts. She really is focused on finding the criminal and puts everything into the job. Sean and Michelle do play a role in this book but it is much smaller. I have to admit that I would have liked to have a little more Sean in this book. I did like seeing Caitlin struggle with being away from people in her life and felt it helped round out her character.

This was a fast moving story. The opening scene was very strong and really set the tone for the story. I did think that the book slowed down just a bit towards the middle but everything picked up quickly and ended with a ton of action. Things don't always go well for the team and there were more than a few surprises along the way. I really liked the fact that as soon as I thought I had something figured out I would soon find that I knew less than I thought.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of mystery thrillers. This is the second book in the UNSUB series but could easily be read as a stand alone since it tells its own story. This is a fast paced story that kept me thinking until the thrilling end. I can't wait to read the next book in this amazing series!

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Group Viking - Dutton Books via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
This was good. The opening of the book really caught my attention. I did think that things slowed down a bit towards the middle but the story had a really strong finish.