carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Lost Plot by Genevieve Cogman

The Lost Plot - Genevieve Cogman

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had such a good time reading this book! This is the fourth book in The Invisible Library series and while it tells its own story, I do think that this series is best if read in order. One thing that I love about this series is that each installment can be completely unique and the types of worlds that they visit really has no limits. This was a very strong story that was incredibly entertaining from beginning to end.

Irene finds herself in a difficult situation once again. She is approached by a dragon regarding a very important contest for a rare book. The Library does not get involved in dragon politics and must maintain their neutrality so Irene reports the incident to her superiors. Irene is given the assignment of investigating the actions of another Librarian and to find out what is going on with this situation.

Irene and Kai find themselves in a New York reminiscent of the 1920s complete with gangsters and other colorful individuals. Irene is in trouble right away once she enters the city and soon finds herself at odds with the local police. She must deal with them along with the local gangsters in addition to figuring out what is going on with the dragons and the other Librarian.

This was my favorite book in the series thus far. I was completely charmed by the whole story. I like how Irene is able to think quickly and can seem to get herself out of almost any situation. Kai spent a lot of time away from Irene in this book but we get to see that he is equally capable. I really like both of these characters a lot. They are both willing to make sacrifices if necessary in order to make sure that the right thing is done. Not to mention that dragons play a dominant role in this story which I found really interesting.

I would recommend this series to others. I found myself swept away in a wonderfully crafted world filled with a variety of interesting characters. I can't wait to read more of this delightful series!

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Berkley Publishing Group via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
This was such a fun book! This installment takes Irene and Kai to New York in a period reminisent of the 1920's complete with gangsters. There wasn't a minute of boring in this book and I was highly entertained the whole time I was reading. Things look pretty dire for a while in this book but it is always interesting to see what Irene can come up with to everyone out of trouble.