carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King & Richard Chizmar

Gwendy's Button Box: Includes bonus story "The Music Room" - Richard Chizmar, Stephen King, Maggie Siff

This review can also be found Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really enjoyed this little story! This was one of those books that once you started you wanted to keep listening. This book isn't very long so it really is no surprise that I was able to listen to it in a single day but I started this one on a Saturday and I rarely listen to audiobooks during the weekends. I just couldn't get enough of this story.

The story opens with Gwendy exercising on the stairs. She meets a stranger who gives her a magic box. This box can do a lot of things and she takes the responsibility that comes with it very seriously. She has a lot of questions about the box and no real way of finding any answers. She's doesn't even know anything about the man that gave it to her.

I think Gwendy showed more restraint that I would have at such a young age. Who am I kidding? I don't think I would have a lot of restraint now either. I wanted her to push all of the buttons but was a little scared and wanted to to leave it alone all at the same time. If anyone can hook me up with the magic chocolate, please let me know because I am pretty sure that I could use some of that in my life.

The story took some unexpected turns and held my interest the entire time. There were a few moments that broke my heart just a little bit. I thought the whole concept of the story was really imaginative and well developed. I liked how this story kept me thinking about how I would have handled the situation if I were in Gwendy's place.

The narration was very well done. I think that Maggie Siff did a fantastic job of bringing Gwendy to life. She was able to bring a lot of emotion into the story and expertly handled everything from a child's wonder to a teenager's heartbreak. Her voice was very pleasant to listen to and her delivery was performed at a very nice pace.

I would recommend this book to others. The audiobook that I listened to also included a very short story which was very enjoyable even though it only lasted a few minutes. The conversation between the authors was also quite entertaining. I do hope to read more from both of these authors in the future.

Book source: Library via Overdrive