carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

And After by Sarah Lyons Fleming

And After: Until the End of the World, Book 2 (Volume 2) - Sarah Lyons Fleming

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I am loving this series! I am so thankful that I stumbled upon this series because I am very taken with it. I am a huge fan of The Walking Dead but I don't actively search for zombie books to read (although maybe I should). As I listened to this book, I have found myself comparing it to The Walking Dead but I don't think that is a bad thing since I would expect some similarities. This book was hard to put down and I ended up listening to it for hours at a time and thinking about it at other times.

I do have to tell you that this book broke my heart. More than once. I didn't expect to care about this group of characters as much as I do but it seems like any time they experience something terrible my heart hurts a little bit. In a world with zombies all over the place, there is a a whole lot of horrible going on. There is also a whole lot of good and I love that this book really shows how great people can be during a crisis.

Cassie and her group of friends are living at Kingdom Come. The community at Kingdom Come works well together. They are growing food, canning, and basically doing whatever is needed to support their population. They have even set up a school for the children. Everyone has their assigned jobs and life is about as good as you can make it during the zombie apocalypse.

But things eventually go wrong and Cassie has to learn how to move forward even when she doesn't want to. This book really put me through the wringer at times and just as I started to feel a bit better about things it would crush my heart all over again. There times that I was nervous for the characters, times that I was happy for them, times that I laughed along with them, and times I wanted to let them cry on my shoulder.

I do really like Cassie and her group of friends. The group that we met in the first book are still together and I really feel like I know them at this point. I think it is great how much they are really able to support each other and it is obvious how much they really care for each member of the group. It is really a more positive approach to their situation since they really work together to get through different events.

Julia Whelan does such a great job narrating this series. This book is from Cassie's point of view and she does a fantastic job of capturing all of Casie's emotions during the story. There is a pretty large cast of characters in the book and she handles them all very well. I think that her reading of the story may have added a bit of impact to some of the more intense sections of the book.

I would highly recommend this series to fans of The Walking Dead or zombie apocalypse stories. This was a highly entertaining story filled with wonderful characters trying to not only survive but flourish. I usually take a break between books in a series to stretch things out a bit but I moved straight into the next book in the series once I finished this one because I couldn't wait to spend more time with Cassie and her group. I will definitely be reading more from Sarah Lyons Fleming in the future.

Initial Thoughts
This book broke my heart several times. Damn. Great characters and lots of zombie fun. The narration is fabulous. I can't get enough of this amazing series.

Book source: Audible purchase