carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books

I really enjoyed this audiobook. This isn't the kind of book that I would have normally picked up but I saw so many wonderful reviews for it that I decided to give it a closer look. When I caught it on sale on Audible, I decided to go for it. I am so glad that I took a chance on this one because I completely fell in love with Ove over the course of this story.

Ove is exactly what you think of when you try to picture a grumpy old man. He knows how things should be done and expects others to have enough sense to do them the right away. He believes that rules are there to be followed regardless of who you are. He is the man who makes rounds in his neighborhood to make sure that the rules are being enforced.

There is a little more to Ove that is revealed bit by bit during the story. He isn't quite as unfeeling as he would let you believe especially once his new (and very patient) neighbors enter his life. Suddenly, it seems that everyone needs his help with things and if he wants to make sure that they are done right he has to help. I really enjoyed seeing Ove making connections with others and learning about his history. The more that you learn about Ove the more you love him.

George Newbern really brought Ove to life. I really felt like I was with Ove as he was telling me his life story. I haven't listened to his narration before this book but I would definitely look for him in the future. He had such a nice voice to listen to and really was able to bring a few emotions to a character that likes to keep them hidden. I was able to listen to this book for hours at a time largely because of the narration.

I would highly recommend this book to others. I think that just about everyone can think of someone in their life with a few of Ove's characteristics. Everything about this story felt very authentic. There were moments that I laughed and other moments that touched my heart. This was the first book by Fredrik Backman that I have read and will not hesitate to read his work again in the future.

Initial Thoughts
I fell in love with Ove over the course of the story. I saw a lot of the traits of many of my family members in Ove. His collection of extremely patient neighbors were all wonderful. I liked how Ove's history is told little by little throughout the story because it really gave some insight about his character.

Source: audible purchase