carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

A Darkness Absolute - Kelley Armstrong

I enjoyed this one a lot.  It started with a bang and maintained a high level of excitement throughout the story.  This is the second book in the Casey Duncan series and I do recommend reading them in order since the events of the first book do play a role in this installment.  This book really kept me guessing right up until the very end.  I had a lot of fun reading this story and found that I never wanted to put it down.

I love the setting of this story because it is so different than the average mystery.  Rockton is such an interesting little town.  The residents of Rockton are such interesting characters and each one really adds something to the story.  I like the fact that everyone has their own story and it is usually different that what you would expect.  The little group of misfits that call Rockton home have really come together to form a community and it adds a nice tone to the story.

Casey and Will find a woman being held captive in a hole inside a cave as they take shelter during a snowstorm.  They are able to save the woman but the identity of her abductor remains a mystery.  Saving the woman is just the start of a very involved case that will put Casey and others in danger before everything is over.

The characters in this book were great.  Casey is very smart and has really committed herself to the town.  She is really starting to believe that she belongs and wants to keep everyone safe.  Dalton is dealing with his feelings towards Casey in addition to keeping the town's residents secure.  Being in a relationship is rather new for Dalton and he is still trying to figure things out.  I really like Casey and Dalton as as couple and I do appreciate the fact that their relationship does not overpower the mystery element of the story.

I would recommend this book to fans of mystery thrillers.  This story contains a complex mystery that had me turning pages as fast as I could.  There are quite a few twists and turns to keep things really interesting.  I can't wait to read more of this exciting series.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press - Minotaur Books via NetGalley.