carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead - Kim Harrison This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This was such a fun audiobook! Years ago, I read the first several books in this series but never went any further for some reason. I meant to but I guess I got distracted by other shiny books or something. Since I knew I need a refresher before moving on with the series, I thought that a re-read would be a perfect choice. I am almost positive that I liked it even better this time around.

This book starts with a bang. Rachel and Jenks are in the middle of a run....and things don't go as smoothly as they would have hoped. One thing leads to another and before you know it Rachel is in the middle of a much bigger case and has a new human sidekick to go with the gig. This book really has a lot packed into it with a pretty compelling mystery at the heart of the story. There are a lot of side plots that also keep the story moving.

I love the characters. Rachel is just all kinds of awesome. I like she handles herself in really difficult situations. She keeps an even head and can think about things from different points of view. She also tries hard to do what is right. Jenks is nearly perfect. He is tough and always seems to add a lot to every scene he is a part of. Ivy is still a bit of a mystery but I like the tension she adds to story.

Marguerite Gavin is the perfect choice for narrator with this series. She is somehow able to capture each of the different characters in this book flawlessly. Each character's voice was unique and fit their personality. I was able to stay completely focused on the story and had a hard time setting it aside to do anything else. I think that her narration really made the story come alive.

I would highly recommend this series to fans of urban fiction. I do think that this is a series that really should be read in order since some of the story builds on previous books. I can't wait to move on to the next book in the series.