carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

House Immortal (A House Immortal Novel Book 1)

House Immortal (A House Immortal Novel Book 1) - Devon Monk This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

This book was surprisingly original. I real a lot of books that revolve around the paranormal. Vampires, werewolves, shifters of every kind, wizards, you name it and I have probably read a book about it. Don't get me wrong, I still have a lot of books to read in the urban fantasy and paranormal romance genres but it is becoming quite rare to for me to stumble upon something that is completely different. This book was different and that is one of the things that I absolutely love about it.

Matilda Case, or Tilly, is tough. She takes care of her Grandmother, her family's land, and an assortment of creatures with the help of Neds, her two headed farm hand. Matila is not just a regular girl. She is a girl that has been stitched together and she lives in a world that doesn't know that she exists. There are others that are stitches together and they are called the galvanized. There are 12 known galvanized individuals who are immortal. There haven't been any new galvanized since the original 12 many years ago, until Tilly.

The world has been divided into Houses that are identified by a color and an specialized set of skills. When Abraham Seven, a galvanized from House Gray, shows up on her doorstep injured, Tilly is quickly pulled into a world that she has spent her life trying to avoid. The Houses are constantly struggling for more power using whatever means necessary and Tilly is soon at the center of everything.

This is the first book in a new series and there was a lot of information to process at the beginning of the story. This story really picked up for me about 20% of the way into the story. Don't get me wrong, I liked the first 20% but I had a hard time putting it down after that point. The world had a uniqueness that I absolutely loved. Right away, I knew that this book was going to be different. I mean there was a giant lizard dragon living right there on Tilly's land.

The characters were as unique as the story. I loved Tilly. I loved how tough she was and how much she cared about others. All of the galvanized in this story were so very different and I had a few favorites. Tilly's farmhand, Neds - Left Ned and Right Ned, seemed to keep things interesting. I really liked the whole cast of characters.

I must applaud Devon Monk's writing. The story was perfectly paced. The world building was solid. The characters were unique and likeable. The story pulled me in and I had a hard time doing anything else until I came to the last page. This is the first time I have had a chance to read anything by this author but I will definitely be reading more in the future.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a well thought out and unique world. This is a series that I plan to continue to read.