carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Frostblood (The Frostblood Saga)

Frostblood (The Frostblood Saga) - Elly Blake This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I really enjoyed this book. I am actually quite surprised by how much I ended up liking it. When I decided to read this book, I wasn't really sure if it was my kind of book. I found out pretty quickly that it was in fact my kind of book. It was an incredibly exciting story set in a interesting world. I am so glad that I decided to read this book.

This book started out really strong. When we first meet Ruby, we learn that she is a Fireblood and that she has been hiding that fact from others for her entire life. Being a Fireblood is dangerous where she lives because they usually don't live for very long after discovery. Ruby has never had an opportunity to really learn how to use her gift or to even test the strength of her power.

I liked Ruby almost immediately. She starts the story out in such an impossible situation and quickly proves to be a survivor. As the story moved forward, there were times that I thought I liked her a bit less. Some of her actions while at the monastery seemed a bit immature at times but she is a seventeen year old in a horrible situation so I think it was justified. By the end of the book, I absolutely loved her. She proved to be incredibly brave and had an amazing strength to her character.

Ruby wasn't the only great character in this story. Arcus was awesome. He always seemed to have a much larger story to tell and I enjoyed his quiet strength. The Brothers at the monastery were great and there were even a few people at the king's court that seemed like they might actually want to help Ruby.

I really enjoyed the way that the story was written. My interest was captured from the very beginning. The pace of the story did slow down a bit during much of the first part of the story but that was where we learned about the world and Ruby's abilities. Once the second half of the book started, I couldn't put the book down. Everything I thought would happend didn't and I wasn't sure how things would work out in the end. I also really appreciated the fact that even though this book is the first of a new series, it came to a nice conclusion.

I would highly recommend this book to others. It is a fantastic story that is filled with excitement. I am really very excited about the fact that this is the beginning of a new series. I will definitely be reading the next book in this series just as soon as I can get my hands on a copy.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Little, Brown Books for Young Readers via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
I really liked this book. It started out good but by the end I was completely hooked.