carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Mountain Man

Mountain Man - Keith C. Blackmore, R.C. Bray This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars

I was completely entertained by this audiobook. I am giving it 4 stars based completely on the entertainment value of the story. I am a huge fan of The Walking Dead and love a good zombie story. I stumbled upon the short prequel to this series on audible as a freebie,[b:The Hospital: The First Mountain Man Story|16123747|The Hospital The First Mountain Man Story (Mountain Man, #0.5)|Keith C. Blackmore|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1374849408s/16123747.jpg|21945875], and really enjoyed it so I decided to jump right into this book.

Gus has it pretty good during this apocalyptic time. He has a house in the mountains that is really almost a fortress. The house he lives in would be the perfect place to find when the world falls apart. He has electricity from the solar panels on the house. He has a well with a working pump. He even has an extensive video collection as well as a quite a few books.

Gus is very focused on making sure he has enough supplies to get through the winter. Every few days or so, he heads into town in his van to look for supplies. Apparently, there has not been a huge rush on alcohol once the zombies came around because he has not had any trouble finding enough booze to spend many evenings passed out drunk.

This story was really episodic in the way that it was told. There would be an immediate problem that needed to be dealt with and it would be addressed. I kind of liked the way this story was told because I tended to listen to this audiobook in short bursts. This story was really just a story survival during the zombie apocalypse with a lot of drinking and swearing.

I listened to the audible audiobook and thought that the narrator did a wonderful job with the story. Each character had his own voice and the narration kept me very focused on the story.

I would recommend this book to others who are looking for a zombie story. This book has everything you would need in a zombie story - action, humor, likable characters, toilet paper, and enough booze to make a fraternity happy. There is a lot of cussing in this story that may bother some readers. I found it to be a rather enjoyable novel. I would probably suggest to anyone who isn't sure about this series to try the prequel, The Hospital, before jumping into this story just to get a feel for the storytelling and the world.