carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Unleashing

The Unleashing - Shelly Laurenston 3/31/15: Now Available!

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

I had so much fun reading this book! I have found that if I read too many books in one genre, I start getting bored and need to switch gears to something completely different. I have been reading so many romance novels lately that they have started to drive me a little crazy so I decided pull this book out of my to be read pile to mix things up a bit. I have never read any of Shelly Laurenston's work before but I thought this would be a great place to jump in since it is the beginning of a new series. As it turns out, I think I have found another series that I will need to keep up with and a new author to watch out for.

It did take me a little while to really understand the world in this book. I think that the world building was well done but there was just so much information to process. Once the rules for the world in this book were established in my mind, the story really took off and I had a hard time putting the book down before I knew it. I found that the mythology behind the world to be incredibly unique. This book is different that anything else I have had a chance to read.

I did think that there were a whole lot of characters to keep straight. The fact that they sometimes used the character's first name and used their last name at other times made it a little more confusing for me. I did figure out who the key figures in the story were going to be pretty early in the book and everything started to come together for me.

I really liked the two main characters in this story. Kera is starting her second life as a Crow. She is a former Marine and likes for things to be organized and planned. Unfortunately for her, the Crows like to play things by ear and the training is really non-existent. Vig is a Raven and he has had his eye on Kera for quite some time. It is because of Vig that Kera is getting this chance at a second life and he tries to teach her some of the skills that she is going to need as a Crow.

This book did a lot of things really well. I found the world building to be well done and the world created was different than anything else I have had a chance to read. The book had moments of humor which I really loved. I think sometimes things can get too serious and I think that the humor worked into this story made the characters feel more realistic. I loved the main characters and thought that the chemistry between them was incredible. The pacing of the book was perfect with just enough action to keep things really interesting.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of anything paranormal. There is some romance in this book but it does not overwhelm the story in any way. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in this exciting new series.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Kensington Publishing Corp. and Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.