carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Northwoods

Northwoods - Bill Schweigart This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

This one ended up being okay for me. I liked it but not nearly as much as I liked this author's previous book, The Beast of Bancroft. I had no idea that this book was part of a series and still don't see it listed as such anywhere that I looked but it does feature many of the same characters. Readers will probably be okay reading this one as a stand alone but they will miss out on a few references to the first book.

I was actually really happy to see some of the characters from The Beast of Bancroft show up in this story. Ben McKelvie and Lindsay Clark were great together in the first book. Unfortunately they spent more time apart during this story and I didn't like Lindsay as much. Alex Standingcloud played a much more prominent role in this book and I really liked his character. Some new characters were also introduced and I really liked Davis Holland a lot.

I think my biggest issue was that there was just too much going on in the book at times. There were several different creatures show up in the book instead of focusing on one kind of monster. The characters split up from each other and a lot of the action seemed to really be happening at the same time just to different people. I like a lot of action but it seemed that when things started going in this book there wasn't even time to breathe.

I love the idea behind this book. Everything that we believe is myth could be real. I really enjoyed the focus on Native American legend in this book. When I picked this book up, I was hoping for something bloody with a lot of action and it succeeded in both of those areas. Some of the things that happen in this story really made my skin crawl. I loved the creepy factor in this book.

I would recommend this book to others. It was a really solid read with a lot of action. The cryptid mythology that shows up in this book was really a lot of fun. This is the second book by Bill Schweigart that I have had a chance to read and I look forward to reading more of his work in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Hydra via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
This one was okay. Lot of action and weird stuff but it didn't keep my interest as well as I would have liked.