carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Follow Me - Angela      Clarke This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This book did something that I honestly did not think was even possible for me. When I started the book, I wasn't connecting with it at all. I was having such a problem with it that I seriously considered not finishing it about a third of the way through. The story just wasn't clicking for me. I decided to read a bit more....and the impossible happened....I couldn't put it down. I can't remember this happening to me before this book. I ended up liking the story quite a bit in the end.

I made the decision to read this story because the idea of it just really appealed to me. A murderer that spends their time online. Wow. I spend way too much time online so the idea behind this book is actually quite scary to be honest. We all know that the internet can be a dangerous place and this story sounded like it could be pulled for the headlines someday soon.

Freddie is a struggling journalist trying to jump start her career. When she runs into her childhood friend, Nasreen, who is now with the police, she hopes that she might have found her big break. Freddie is much more savvy with technology than any of the members of the police force and soon finds herself working to help catch a killer as a social media consultant. The stakes are high and she soon realizes that the most important thing is to catch the killer before it is too late.

Once the mystery really gained momentum in the book, I was hooked. All of the Twitter clues paired with regular police work really keep things interesting. I think that the way the police were divided over the importance of social media in this case was really well portrayed. The group of police were really interesting characters together. The frustration they all felt when things went poorly was intense and I thought that the author did a great job of showing their layers and complexity.

I do have to say that I didn't like Freddie in a lot of ways. I think that may be why the first part of the book was so hard for me to get into. She makes a lot of really bad decisions and doesn't always work well with the rest of the team. I disliked her less by the end of the book but I wouldn't say that I ever grew to like her. The relationship between Nasreen and Freddie was hard to figure out. The build up as to what happened in their past was intense. I really expected a lot of fireworks when the truth was revealed. The reality was a small firework that didn't have a lot of long lasting effects. Once it was out in the open, it wasn't really as much of an issue as I had expected.

I would recommend this book to others. I think that my inability to connect with the story at the beginning was really more me than the book. This is the first book by Angela Clark that I have had a chance to read and I look forward to see what else she comes up with in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from HarperCollins UK, Avon via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
Slow start but once it picked up, I didn't want to put it down. I don't think that I have ever enjoyed a book that I almost gave up on like this one.