carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Pack: A Paranormal Romance Novelette

Pack: A Paranormal Romance Novelette - Inc. Blackstone Audio,  Inc., Jeaniene Frost, Tavia Gilbert This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This was a nice short story. Every once in a while a short story is exactly what I want. I picked up this short story on a day that I knew that I would be able to fit in a couple of hours of listening time and I wanted experience a story from beginning to end. I somehow missed this Jeaniene Frost short story when it was originally published in a couple of previous anthologies, Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance and Under Her Skin. I really enjoyed listening to this story.

Marlee is on a hiking trip with a couple of friends. When they have to leave, she decides to finish her trip by herself. She is hunted by a pack of wolves and eventually attacked. Things would have been even worse for Marlee if Daniel wasn't there to stop the attack. He protects Marlee and makes sure she gets the care that she needs.

I liked both Marlee and David. I liked that Marlee doesn't just accept things as they are. David was incredibly protective of Marlee and extremely patient as well. They do have a lot of chemistry together and I really liked watching the pair with each other. It was a bit of insta love that I usually don't enjoy but it seems to work in a werewolf story because they are wolves and it is just different.

I liked the idea of werewolves living in a community like this one. An entire village hidden and yet so close to normal civilization. The supporting characters that were in the story really make me want to see more of this world. I liked the way the community took care of things and including maintaining order withing the wolves through swift punishment.

I enjoyed the narration of this audiobook. Tavia Gilbert was able to use different voices for each character making the story flow really well. The story is told from Marlee's perspective and I thought she was able to capture Marlee's range of emotions very well. I think that I actually enjoyed the story as much as I did largely because of the narration.

I would recommend this short story to others. I would really like to see this idea expanded into a full length novel set in this world. This story is short but it tells a entertaining and complete story. I have read many of Jeaniene Frost's books and look forward to seeing what she comes up with next.

I received a review copy of this book from Blackstone Audio via Audiobook Jukebox for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
This was a pretty good short story - nothing mind blowing but good nonetheless. I liked the narration quite a bit for this piece. I actually would like to see more of this wolf pack.