carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Before the Fall

Before the Fall - Noah Hawley This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This one was good. I was really never quite sure where the story was going and that uncertainty really kept me turning the pages. This book is told from a lot of different perspectives with each piece adding an element to the story. I liked how the layers of the story were peeled back just a little at a time making the true story a bit clearer. I was thoroughly entertained by this story.

The first parts of this book were superbly done. A plane crashes off the coast of Martha's Vineyard and the guest on the plane, a painter, survives only to be very disoriented. He finds another survivor, a small child, that he knows he must help to safety. The only problem is that they are miles from shore and Scott, the painter, has injured his shoulder in the crash. I felt like I was right there with the pair they made their way to safety.

There were a total of 11 people on board the plane at the time of the crash. There were the two survivors along with the young boy's parents and sister that owned the plane and their bodyguard. They had also invited their friends, an investment professional and his wife. There were also three people working on the plane: the pilot, co-pilot, and flight attendant. Each of these characters had incredible back stories that really made them feel realistic.

Some of the characters that play important roles after the crash made me want to cringe. The news anchor was a real piece of work and I really wanted someone to just make him stop. He may have been over the top but I think he was also quite realistic based on some of the things that I have seen in the media. The young boy's uncle was equally horrible but again he felt authentic to me. I did like the boy's aunt and felt like she was one of the most sane characters in the story.

This was a book that really kept me guessing. Just when I thought I knew what had caused the crash, I would start to doubt myself. I found myself continually needing to read just one more chapter to see what was going to happen next...and we all know how that goes. I can honestly say that the ending of the book was really unexpected until I got pretty close to the end.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of mystery thrillers. This is the first book by Noah Hawley that I have had a chance to read but I plan to look for others in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Grand Central Publishing via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
I liked this one. I was never quite sure where the story was going but it was an entertaining read.