carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Every Which Way But Dead

Every Which Way But Dead  - Marguerite Gavin, Kim Harrison This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I liked this audiobook but it was bit of a disappointment after absolutely loving the first two books in the series. This was a re-read for me but I actually didn't remember anything about it from my initial read years ago. I am actually pretty sure that this is the book that I stopped on when I started the series the first time. It was a good book but it wasn't anywhere near as entertaining as the first two in the series were for me.

This book started out really strong with Rachel having to deal with Big Al. Things looked pretty bad for her and I had no idea how she was going to outsmart him. She ends up getting a bit of help from his familiar and a werewolf insurance agent. It was a close call for Rachel and while she is trying to recover a secret slips out and Jenks ends up mad...and leaves. I missed Jenks constant presence in this book.

This book really seemed a bit more focused on the character relationships. I can't say that I really liked all of the developments in this installment. Nick can't handle being near Rachel so he leaves town. Rachel starts dating Kisten and while they have chemistry it seemed to happen way too fast. Ivy is having her own struggles with Piscary and staying in control. Jenks needs some time away to cool down. This felt like more of a transitional book that may be laying the framework for future books.

I did enjoy the narration in this audiobook. Marguerite Gavin is really the perfect narrator for this series. She is Rachel in my mind but she also performs all of the different voices very well. I never have any trouble understanding who is speaking and her delivery really keeps my focus on the story.

I would recommend this book to others. This is the third book in the series and I really do think that this series needs to be read in order since everything builds from the earlier books. Readers who try to read this as a stand alone will most likely be quite lost. I am looking forward to starting the next audiobook in this series very soon!

Initial Thoughts
I liked this one but not as much as I did the previous one in the series. It felt like more of a transitional book in some ways.