carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Chase

The Chase - Janet Evanovich, Lee Goldberg This review can be found at: Carole's Random Life

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Publishing Group and Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

1.5 Stars

I must say that I am rather disappointed in this book. I have been a long time fan of Evanovich and have insisted that many of my friends and family read her books. These books have had a history of being easy to read with some laughs, colorful characters, and silly fun. Her books have suffered a steady decline and it make me very sad.

This book is second in the Fox and O'Hare series. I found the first in the series somewhat enjoyable and had hoped that this one would be even better. Unfortunately, it is not. The characters felt flat throughout the book and I never cared about anyone in the book....at all. I had hoped that I would find something funny in the book...nope....nothing funny here....at all. I had hoped that there would be some chemistry between Nick and Kate....nothing going on here.

The plot of the book can be summed up quite easily. Kate is an FBI agent who has been paired up with a thief, Nick Fox to steal things. They steal things in this book several times. They almost get caught several times. That is basically it.

This book makes me sad. I miss the days when I would be sure to go to the book store on the release day for any of Evanovich's books. I would make no plans that day and I would spend a couple of hours laughing at something crazy. Things started slowly declining and somewhere along the line I started checked these books out at the library and getting to them when I had a chance. I actually have the most recent Stephanie Plum book sitting on my kindle unread months after its release.

I do wonder who wrote this book. Was it Goldberg trying to imitate Evanovich? Was it a collaboration of efforts? I also wonder what input the editor had on the book. I really wonder how many naps this book will induce. I fell asleep at least three times while reading this book. I am the kind of person who stays up late reading one more page but with this book I repeatedly found myself falling asleep.

I really cannot recommend this book. I do hope that Evanovich finds her spark again someday but it is becoming doubtful. This is really one of those books that I am just glad I finished so that I can move on to something else.