carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Trust No One: A Thriller

Trust No One: A Thriller - Paul Cleave This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This book was very different than anything else that I have read. I know that there are other books out there that have characters with Alzheimer's Disease but I just have not read any of them yet. This was completely uncharted territory for me. A mystery thriller told from the point of view of an Alzheimer's patient was a unique twist that caught my interest. I just had to see this idea in its execution.

I have been lucky enough that I have not had any loved ones close to me affected by Alzheimer's Disease. I have been around a few more distant relatives dealing the the disease but my experience is very limited. I really cannot say how accurately the disease is represented in this book but it seemed to me that some sections would ring true while other parts were incredibly far fetched.

I think that the change in Jerry's personality seemed authentic and the most powerful aspect of the story. The change in the relationship between Jerry and his wife, Sandra, was heartbreaking. The change in roles from equal partner to caretaker would have to have a dramatic effect on the relationship which I think was well represented. Jerry's frustration with his limitations were so easy to empathize with.

I thought that a lot of the mystery in this book was far fetched. I am sorry but I just don't believe that Jerry would have been able to do some of the things that he does at the end of the story at his stage in the disease. I do understand that some days can be much better than others but it was just too much of a jump for me. Unfortunately, I also guessed one of the big twists pretty early on which really lessened my overall enjoyment of the story. The way that the story was told really made it easy to guess quite a few of the big moments.

I did find some humor in this story which I did enjoy. Each chapter in the book was told from more than one point in time which actually worked well. The sections from the journal showed the progression of the disease while the present day made it obvious that there was a lot that had changed. The overall mystery was not only what was happening to Jerry during the present day but also what happened during the time in between.

I would recommend this book to mystery readers looking for something different. I found it to be a very entertaining book even thought it was somewhat easy to set down. This was the first book by Paul Cleave that I have read and I would definitely read other works by this author in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Atria Book via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
This was definitely different. I can't say that I have ever read another book told from the point of view of someone with Alzheimer's Disease. Unfortunately, I was able to predict some of the big twists and I found the story to be incredibly unrealistic.