carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Reign of the Vampires

Reign of the Vampires - Rebekah R. Ganiere 11/17/14: Now Available!

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Kensington Books via Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

4 Stars

This book was different. I enjoy reading books with vampires, werewolves, ghosts, witches, and really anything that falls into the paranormal realm. When a saw this book on Net Galley, I instantly requested it because I was ready for a vampire story. I really expected a run of the mill vampire love story based on the cover and I was okay with that. What I got was a unique take on vampires in a many layered story.

Danika is a vampire lord in the Chicago area. She is the only female vampire lord in the entire country and she heads the company that produces Savor, a bottled blood drink. When humans are found and captured, they are quickly sold into slavery. Mason was with a group of humans out foraging when he was captured. Danika buys Mason at auction to be her protector.

It becomes obvious early on that Mason is not just human but something more. He feels very protective of Danika and takes his role very seriously. Both Danika and Mason are hesitant to act on their feelings towards each other but eventually come together.

This book had some problems. My biggest problem is that Danika purchased Mason. How could Mason ever feel anything towards the person who paid for him and was responsible for his captivity. I just don't see how you overcome the fact that Danika literally OWNS Mason. To be honest I just kind of pushed it aside in my head because the world and society was so different. Danika also starts to realize that there may be other ways to do things by the end of the book.

I thought that the world building was great. It is a very different take on the vampire world and I thought it was done well. The writing was solid. There was enough mystery in the story to keep me going. I was dying to know what Mason really was and also who wanted to harm Danika. The villains were the kind that I love to hate. Overall, I thought it was a solid story.

I would recommend this book to others that enjoy a different take on vampires. These vampire see humans as a commodity so this is not the typical romantic vampire world that is often popular. This is the first book by Rebekah Graniere that I have read and I do plan to continue with this series.