carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Morning Star

Morning Star - Pierce Brown This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This was an incredibly strong ending to a wonderful trilogy. I love it when I can become so immersed in a world that it seems real to me. Darrow's world is real in my mind. I did have a bit of trouble keeping up with who was who in this book but that is probably just because of my aging memory. There were times while I was reading this book that I had to really think back to the previous books to remember all the things these characters have done. I do wish that I had re-read the first two books prior to jumping into this book but I ended up doing okay in the end.

This book starts a few months after the previous book ended. Darrow ended that last book on a real low. I remember how upset I was when I read the end of Golden Son. I wanted to see Darrow right all of the wrongs and maybe get a little bit of revenge. Darrow really starts this book at the lowest point in the whole trilogy and it was at times painful to see.

The rest of the characters have been dealing with a lot. I really wasn't sure what was going on with Sevro for the first part of the book but by the end he won me over again as he always does. I loved Ragnar throughout the story. It was nice to see all the people that Darrow has been close to regardless of color come together in this book although it did test my memory at times.

This book is filled with action and political maneuvering just like the first two but at times the stakes felt higher in this one. There were more than a few times where I was incredibly anxious about what was going on in the story and other times that I wanted to curl up and shed a few tears. I laughed a time or two as well. I love any book that can make me go through such a wide range of emotions in a single story.

It wasn't a perfect story. I am not a big fan of the ending. I had to think about things for a few days and I am still not really very happy with the big reveal at the end of the story. Other reader may love it though. I also felt like this book was a bit more tedious to read. That may be because of my memory issues from the first two books. It just seemed that I really had to take things a little slower and focus to keep track of everyone during some of the more action packed scenes.

I would highly recommend this book to others. This is part of a trilogy that really needs to be read in order and I would recommend reading all three books in quick succession if at all possible. This is a trilogy that I know I read again. I can't wait to see what Pierce Brown comes up with next.

Initial Thoughts
Strong ending to a wonderful trilogy. I wish that I had re-read the first two books before reading this book. It has only been a little more than a year since I read them but I could have used a refresher on who's who since I tend to forget names easily.