carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Nightlife

Nightlife  - Rob Thurman 3 Stars

When a group of friends on Goodreads decided to read this book, I thought it sounded like a great idea and joined in. This book was an okay read for me. It had some really strong moments that I loved. It also had some moments that I thought were more than a little boring. The beginning of the book was absolutely fantastic and I just knew that I was going to love this series. Unfortunately, the book as a whole did not live up to those opening scenes. I have been really torn about how to rate and review this book since the story ended up feeling so hot and cold in the end.

I really liked the unique take on the Auphe or demon-like elves. The fact that the main character, Cal, is half human and half Auphe really pulled me into the story. Cal's older brother, Nikko, is fiercely protective of Cal and will do whatever it takes to keep him safe. This interesting world and the strong relationship between the brothers really set the stage for a exciting novel. Throw in a little sarcastic humor, similar to what is found in the Harry Dresden series and it should have been almost perfect.

Unfortunately, the book had quite a few problems. The excitement of the opening chapters quickly waned and didn't return until the book was almost over. I thought that much of the book was actually boring at time and tedious at others. This book may have fell victim to the first book syndrome found in many Urban Fiction series where the world building overpowers the story and the book suffers as a whole. I also the humor that started out great at the beginning felt overdone by the conclusion of the novel.

I am consider continuing this series but I am not rushing out to buy the second book anytime soon. There were enough good moments and the world is interesting enough that I wouldn't mind seeing where this series could go. I do think that many Urban Fiction fans will enjoy this book.