carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Death Warmed Over

Death Warmed Over  - Kevin J. Anderson, Phil Gigante This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

I did not expect to enjoy this book nearly as much as I did in the end. This book is incredibly original with enough humor that I found myself chucking every once in a while. I have a slightly weird sense of humor and something about this book just clicked for me. I tend to listen to audiobooks just a little bit at a time and I found that worked well with this book.

I think that oftentimes books with any paranormal element take themselves too seriously. Not this book. This book jumps in and doesn't really take anything seriously. The main character Dan Chambeaux's name is even open for jokes - Did you notice that this is the Dan Shamble, Zombie PI series? I love just thinking about a world where if you come back as a zombie or ghost, you simply brush yourself off and go back to your life. In this case, Dan goes back to work as a Private Investigator and works to solve not only his own murder but that of his ghostly girlfriend.

I did solve the big mystery before the big reveal but I had a lot of fun during the journey. This book actually had several different smaller mysteries as Dan worked on his caseload. Each of these cases brought new and colorful characters into the mix. In this book, the author was able to create a completely likeable zombie. That shouldn't even be possible but I really liked Dan. The other characters in the book were really just as much fun.

The narrator did a remarkable job with this story. In fact, I don't think that this story would have be quite as enjoyable without his narration. I am amazed at how well he did various voices and I never had any difficulty in keeping all of the characters straight in my head. I really think that this is a case where a narrator was able to take a good story and make it great. This is the first audiobook with Phil Gigante as the narrator that I have listened to but I will definitely look for him in the future.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a dose of laughs with their light paranormal reads. This story is quick, easy, and a whole lot of fun. I would highly recommend the audiobook version of this story if at all possible because I really think that is the best way to experience this story. I hope to listen to the next one in the series in the near future.