carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Hanover House (prequel - Hanover House Chronicles)

Hanover House (prequel - Hanover House Chronicles) - Brenda Novak This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This prequel did exactly what a prequel should do...which is to get me really excited to read this new series! I seriously cannot think of another series prequel that does its job any better than this one does. This is a relatively short piece but it really doesn't feel short because the story is so big. I honestly can't believe how must story was packed into only 200 pages or so. This is a very entertaining read.

Brenda Novak is known as a romance writer. I have read and enjoyed her work before so when I saw her name on the cover of this book, I assumed that it would be a romance. There is some romance in the story but it is so much more. The romance in this story lives up to Brenda Novak's standards but the suspense in the story really steals the show in my opinion.

Evelyn is a psychiatrist in the process of opening a facility in Hilltop, Alaska that will house some of the most dangerous criminals in the United States. She was the victim of a psychopath when she was a teenager and has devoted her life to understanding the psychopathic mind. As an expert in her field, she is finding the perfect group of criminals to study at her facility often putting herself at risk in the process.

I found that I really liked the characters in this story and have my finger crossed that they will remain the focus as the series progresses. Evelyn has been though more than most people can even imagine. The fact that she is able to handle herself so well in difficult situations really speaks to the strength of her character. She is a fighter and she is tough but she is also willing to take advice when it is the smart thing to do. Amarok was nearly perfect. He may be a little too perfect but I suspect that we may see a flaw or two at some point in the series. He is good at his job, has perfect timing, and has to be the most patient man in Alaska or really anywhere.

The pacing of this story was perfect. The romance and the suspense really balanced out quite nicely and I had a hard time setting the book aside. I did enjoy the suspense aspect of the story a bit more than the romance. I kept asking myself as I read this story Why didn't anyone tell me that this story was about a stalker? The voice of the stalker in this story was fantastic.

I would highly recommend this story to others. I think that fans of romantic suspense will really enjoy this one. I cannot wait to get my hands on the first full length book in the series when it is released next year.

I received a copy of this book from Brenda Novak via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
I really liked this one. A whole lot of story in this short piece. A very impressive prequel that has me looking forward to the series.