carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Off The Grid

Off The Grid - C.J. Box This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I enjoyed this one. This was actually the first book by C.J. West that I have read. I have no idea why I decided to jump into book #16 of a series. Sometimes that kind of decision works in my favor and sometimes it blows up in my face. This series seems to be one that readers can successfully enjoy this book without reading the previous books int he series although there were a few times in the story that I think I would have enjoyed it more if I knew the characters history.

This book had a lot of exciting moments. One thing that I really liked was that even during the most action filled moment the story was still able to feel authentic. I could completely see everything that happens in this book happening in real life. I hope it doesn't but I didn't think it was impossible. It is really rare to find a book that can really feel so real throughout the story.

I really liked Joe Pickett. After meeting Joe and his family in this book, I definitely want to go back and read the previous book in this series. Joe was just such a likable character and a genuinely good guy. He deals with very stressful situations well and is able to remain calm when everyone else is panicking. My favorite parts of the book were the parts that came from Joe's point of view.

Nate felt like more of a mystery to me. I really did wish that I had the background from the previous books to learn his story. Nate just didn't feel as interesting to me as Joe. He some really neat skills and I loved his work in falconry. I didn't like the parts of the book from Nate's perspective nearly as much. The secondary characters were all very interesting and added a lot to the overall story.

I enjoyed the style of writing. The pacing in this book was expertly done. I liked that there were lots of different things happening during the story to really keep the excitement level high. The characters were all wonderfully detailed and each had a distinctive personality that really came across in the story. I thought that the descriptions in the book were fantastic. I almost felt like I was there during some scenes in the book especially the one with the bear.

I would recommend this book to others. Anyone who is already a fan of the Joe Pickett series will definitely want to get their hands on this book as soon as possible. New readers will also find a lot to enjoy in this story. I plan to read a lot more C.J. Box in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Publishing Group - G.P. Putnam's Sons via First to Read for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
I really enjoyed this book once I really got into it. This is the first book that I have read in the series. While I think it reads okay as a stand alone, I did feel like I was a missing a few things and found the book hard to get into. I liked the parts of the book that came from Joe's point of view much better than any other characters.