carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Drafter

The Drafter - Kim Harrison This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I have some mixed feelings regarding this book. I did like it but I found it to be a bit tedious at times. I love the idea behind the book. I can't tell you how many times being able to rewind time a few seconds for quick "do over" would have come in handy during my life so the idea is very compelling. The part where you need partner to help you only remember one of the timelines so that you remain sane doesn't sound quite as appealing in real life or in the book.

Peri is a Drafter, which means she has the ability to rewind time for just a brief moment. She works with a partner, her anchor, whose responsibility is to help her remember only one of the timelines. Without an anchor doing his job correctly, she would be at risk of going insane anytime she drafts so it is a relationship built on trust. Peri is put in a position where she isn't sure that she can trust her anchor and senses that something may be wrong.

When Peri meets Silas, she is already sensing that something is wrong at Opti, the company she works for. Something seems to click with Silas and Peri starts to trust him early on. Silas is able to act as an anchor for Peri when needed and helps her start to piece together parts of her past that are bothering her. I found Silas and his friends to be immediately likeable and easily my favorite parts of the book.

The memory issues that go hand in hand with Peri's drafting made for confusing reading at times. Events would happen in one fashion and then it would change and I was left not knowing what was real and what wasn't. This is exactly what Peri is dealing with in her life over the course of the book but as a reader I found it tedious and tiring.

There were some really strong points in the book as well. The idea behind the story is genius. Peri was smart and really grew on me over the course of the book. There were parts of the book that were action packed and quite exciting. The story ended with a lot of promise for the next book which I am looking forward to reading soon.

Initial Thoughts
I liked this book but it made my head hurt a little because it was a bit tedious for me. I really liked the concept but I found that I had a hard time keeping everything straight. All of the re-remembering left me confused at times while it felt redundant at other times. I had planned to start reading the second book as soon as I finished this one but I need a break.