carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Our Chemical Hearts

Our Chemical Hearts - Krystal Sutherland This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I liked this book but have found that it is a rather tough one for me to rate. I was initially grabbed by the awesome cover and after reading the description, I just had to read it. There were things that I really liked about it and other parts that just didn't do a lot for me. I have been wavering between 3 and 4 stars and have finally settled on a 4 star rating since it was a rather enjoyable read overall. It was a really quick read that took a few turns that I didn't expect.

I loved the characters in this book. Henry was great. I loved him and his group of friends. His parents and sister were also quite amazing. I wasn't as sold on Grace. From the beginning of the book, it was very obvious that Grace was keeping something major to herself so it is no wonder that her character was more of a mystery. I did enjoy the interactions between Henry and Grace when they were together.

The main focus of this book is really solving the mystery that is Grace and Henry builds a relationship with her. Grace does have some tragedy in her past which is greatly impacting her present. Henry is patient and tries to be there for Grace even though he wants to move forward and focus on a future with her. For Henry, Grace becomes his total focus often to the detriment of other things in his life. In addition to being a story of first love, Henry learns a lot about himself, his family, and his friends over the course of the story.

I would recommend this book to others. I do think that this book is appropriate for older teens. There are some elements to the story that younger teens may not be ready for including drinking and sexual situations. This is the first book by Krystal Sutherland that I have read and I plan to look for her work in the future.

I received an advance review copy of this book from G. P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers via First to Read for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
I liked this one. It was a little different than I had expected with great characters.